Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Nautilus Windows

Sometimes you have to do more than round to be well rounded...
Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Nautilus Windows

Postby Bob Rotche » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm

I spent the past week at Arrowmont in a power carving class with Kristin LeVier. She's an excellent teacher and Arrowmont is really a wonderful place. No turning on this one but thought I'd share it anyway. Its about 3.5 x 12" and carved from poplar and painted black. I'm intrigued by the idea of seeing parts of an object as if looking through a window.

Nautilus Windows.jpg

Curt Fuller

Re: Nautilus Windows

Postby Curt Fuller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Very nice! Would that be considered a tryptych? Fantastic carving!

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Now that's a real change-up pitch and I like it. I see what you mean about seeing parts of the object through the window. I like that texture on the frame too. I hope it's a special technique that doesn't require doing each tiny piece individually. That could take up your whole week.

By the way, I either learned something new tonight, or re-learned something I'd forgotten and it really helps see the details of your piece here. To get a much better detail of this photo right click the small image then select "open link in new tab", then for even more detail click the little + sign. I may be the only one that did not know that.

Les Symonds

Postby Les Symonds » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:36 am

I like that Bob and am eagerly awaiting a piece of wood turning from you with a carved panel somewhere within it....could be interesting!
Les

Return to “Other Woodworking Projects”