New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention

West Tennessee Woodturners

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

West Tennessee Woodturners

Post by Chuck Jones » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 am

West Tn  Woodturners logo 3.jpg
Can't let the Eastern part of the state take up all of the space.

Our local club is West Tennessee Woodturners, and we meet in Jackson, Tennessee on the second Saturday of each month. Our web site is http://www.wtnwoodturners.com. Like Josh said, the door is always open at our meetings and we love visitors.

If I may share a little background on how West Tennessee Woodturners was started. In 2007 when I got the crazy idea to buy a lathe I was convinced I was the only person in a 100 mile radius that turned wood. Did not know another single one. Did not know a thing about turning. I felt I had to justify the expenditure so I hit the internet, that's really the "source of all knowledge" out here in the sticks. I discovered some of the woodturning forums and gained a lot of information. I remember posting a question once, probably on SMC, asking if they'd mind telling me what they were calling "the banjo". Eventually I learned about the AAW which I joined right off. The closest clubs were 100 miles in any direction, but I found the names of two or three other members in this area. Picked up a couple more names from John Lucas whom I'd run across on some forum and at a TAW Symposium.

Anyway, I got all those folks together at my shop one night in mid-2009 without knowing a single one of them. We had a great time and decided to start a local club. That club now has a membership of around 50 and we average 25-30 at each meeting. We are drawing from about a 50 mile radius. It is absolutely one of the more enjoyable social activities I've ever been involved in. There are no renowned artist in the group, but there are some pretty darned good woodturners who get better every day learning from each other and a steady stream of good demonstrators. Some sell their work at area craft shows and other venue, but mostly we just have a great lot of fun.

We do have some renowned turners in the general area who have helped us immensely during our start up years. This includes Keith Burns, John Lucas, and John Jordan along with several others that may not be as widely known, but are outstanding turners and demonstrators.

Greg Phillips

Re: West Tennessee Woodturners

Post by Greg Phillips » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 am

Hey Chuck, this is my first post and I thought it was a good time to get out of the shadows . I was there for a few great demos,John Jordan turned a froozen piece or rosewood in to a amazing hollow from,also was impressed with his line of hollowing tools.John Lucas made a 3 or 4 legged foot bowl and is a simply down to earth person and will talk and answer all of your questions with all of the excitment of giving encouragement to go for it and not give up.Well lets just that Kieth had a bad day demoing the carter hollowing system with the laser not quite being set just right , enough said. Oh and some of do sell a few pieces ,you know so you can buy more tools .
PS don't tell some of your other members how much you sold,HA HA . Been a great time and I leared a lot'
Greg

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Chuck Jones » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 am

Greg we need to mention Keith's great fourth quarter rally. You may not have seen that. He started from scratch on a fairly tall piece of mesquite (I think it was) and turned a really nice vase that he later posted on WTA. In fact I just happened to have a picture of it. (Also I still have the bowl/funnel in my shop. If anyone wants to see that.) :D
Burns-Vase.JPG

David Keller

Post by David Keller » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 pm

I didn't know Carter retailed a funnel maker… I love funnel cakes! I'll have to ask Keith for his recipe...

Greg Phillips

Post by Greg Phillips » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Kieth is a great turner,just was not having a good first half on his demo that day, I've had a few days where things didn't go as planned ,he is still a great wood turner. Greg

David Keller

Post by David Keller » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:33 am

Greg Phillips wrote:Kieth is a great turner,just was not having a good first half on his demo that day, I've had a few days where things didn't go as planned ,he is still a great wood turner. Greg
I was only teasing... With the kind of stuff Keith turns out, there's no doubt that he's a great turner. Truth be told, I'm an accomplished funnel maker myself, and I'm still waiting for a day where things do go as planned! :oops:

Keith Burns

Post by Keith Burns » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

I have to admit this whole thing is funny!

I didn't see it but heard that at the TAW Symposium, Mike Mahoney had a piece that came out of the chuck four times.
I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.

DaveTTC Walters

Post by DaveTTC Walters » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Thx for the thread. My club, of about 11 members is 35 km away. Next closest is about 150 km in any direction. The president of our club (25 yrs, since the club started) is experienced has demonstrated a other clubs and shows and was a rep for nova lathes. He is about 86 and I'm trying to learn as much as possible from him as he reckons this could be his last year.

If I ever visit the states again I hope to visit some clubs there and meet some friends.
Dave The Turning Cowboy

Turning Wood Into Art

Tim Rinehart
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Post by Tim Rinehart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Chuck, my wife grew up in Dyersburg, not far away from Jackson, and still has some family there we occasionally visit. I'll have to persuade her of her desire to make the next visit coincident with the second saturday of a given month! :D
Sawdust Engineer

Be sure to visit this site's front page here, Woodturners Unlimited

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Chuck Jones » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Tim,
We'd love to have you at our meeting. My wife and I are always happy to have folks out to our place to if you can work that out.
Chuck

Bob Speier

Post by Bob Speier » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:26 am

Keith Burns wrote:I have to admit this whole thing is funny!

I didn't see it but heard that at the TAW Symposium, Mike Mahoney had a piece that came out of the chuck four times.
He also went through the bottom of a vessel, had to be there. :roflmao:
Bob

Ladies, if a man says he will fix it, he will. There is no need to remind him every 6 months about it

David Keller

Post by David Keller » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Keith Burns wrote: I didn't see it but heard that at the TAW Symposium, Mike Mahoney had a piece that came out of the chuck four times.
I'll have you know that I'm a quick study... After watching that demo, I promptly came home and yanked a piece out of the chuck like I'd been doing it for years! :lol:

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Chuck Jones » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 pm

David Keller wrote: I'll have you know that I'm a quick study... After watching that demo, I promptly came home and yanked a piece out of the chuck like I'd been doing it for years! :lol:
And you didn't even attend the demo. :no:

David Keller

Post by David Keller » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Chuck Jones wrote:
David Keller wrote: I'll have you know that I'm a quick study... After watching that demo, I promptly came home and yanked a piece out of the chuck like I'd been doing it for years! :lol:
And you didn't even attend the demo. :no:
I actually did go for part of it. Actually, I was there for most of it... After about the third or fourth time he yanked it out, I felt like I had learned enough to be able to replicate it in my shop. ;)