Turning of the Week
New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention

Steve's Front Page EXIF Data Article

Discussion about articles in the "Front Page" section of this site.
Ric Taylor

Steve's Front Page EXIF Data Article

Post by Ric Taylor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Steve,

I enjoyed your EXIF article, I'm no expert but there is lots to know and be confused about with EXIF.

I know of several artists who were tripped up because they didn't know about EXIF data. As you probably know some galleries and some exhibitions have rules that state anything they show must be recent, i.e. must have been created within the past two or three years. I have never figured out any logical reasons for those rules, but they are what they are.

The artists I'm referring to submitted photos to exhibitions and galleries that had those types of rules in place. When they submitted their photos, they new nothing about EXIF data. The galleries and exhibitions looked at the EXIF data and saw that the photos had been created years before, and did not qualify. They were rejected and prohibited from entering in the future.

I have learned that not all photo editing programs display EXIF data in the same way. Adobe Photoshop Elements and Irfanview do not show the same data for the same image .... Elements shows much more data. Along the same lines, some editing programs allow certain fields to be edited while others may not. I have found that if I want to edit or delete a lot of EXIF data on an image, I might have to send it through several editing programs to get it all done.

Nice article! :1thumbup

Regards,

Ric

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Steve's Front Page EXIF Data Article

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 pm

After doing a little digging on EXIF editors, I did find one that allows total EXIF access and editing capabilities. It is free, check it out here: http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page