Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Rice Pirogue

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Rice Pirogue

Postby Robert Henrickson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm

‘Rice boat challenge’ – oh – you said ‘Rice bowl’ – as Emily Litella used to say on SNL: “Never mind.”

When I started thinking about boats in doing this challenge, the “Rockin’ Rice” idea came first. Later I realized that if I joined two ‘goblet’ forms mouth-to-mouth, then cut them in half lengthwise, I might have a better boat. A second ‘cut and paste’ approach, with a rabbet join for the gluing. I thought about long skinny boats, and Ross Perrot came to mind, hence the name (I’m addicted to puns). Again, I ran short on time, so this and the second are more or less trial pieces.

Wood is Bradford pear from my street tree which was destroyed by an ice storm several years ago; I saved almost all of the wood from the tree and still have a fair stock. The ‘bowls’ are 7 3/4" long, 2 3/4" wide, and 1½” deep. Chopsticks are cherry and 8" long. No special tools. Lacquer finish.

I have to admit that this ‘bowl’ is too small as far as I am concerned when it comes to eating rice.
Attachments
DSCF9817 RICE PEAR 2.jpg
DSCF9820 RICE PEAR3.jpg
DSCF9881 RICE PEAR4.jpg

David Keller

Re: Rice Pirogue

Postby David Keller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Dang it... I like this shape even more than the previous boats! I agree on the assessment about size, but they'd be perfect for a little ball of wasabi and some pickled ginger. Very nicely done!

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 pm

This is great! If we ever have to turn a gondola... I am keeping this in mind! Thanks for sharing!
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 pm

I think all three are my favorites but this is my favorite of my favorites. Those are just too cool!

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:46 am

Wow! These are even more interesting than the last batch! Love the shape. You definitely win the prize for thinking "outside the bowl"

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Postby Robert Henrickson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the comments! It was fun finally trying out some new ideas, using a couple techniques I'd had in mind but hadn't tried before.

steve bellinger

Postby steve bellinger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Wow this is the first post of yours that I am looking at. These are great, and if the others are half as good you have my vote for the most unique bowls ( boats)

Scott Hackler

Postby Scott Hackler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Very nice Robert. These invoke a sense of calm to me, so for that I attribute a definite oriental feel to them.
... No it's not thin enough!

Visit the front page of our site at... WoodturnersUnlimited.com
Visit my personal site at... TheSpinningLog.com

Return to “Winter 2013/2014 - Rice Bowls & Chopsticks”