Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Rockin’ Rice, or Rice ‘n’ Roll

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Rockin’ Rice, or Rice ‘n’ Roll

Postby Robert Henrickson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Looks like I’m going to be the odd one out in this challenge. Rather than do the classic rice bowl, I thought I’d have some fun more or less within the rules “Shape....that’s up to you, anything you could eat rice from”.

There are two ‘bowls’ here, each with a pair of chopsticks, though clearly not classic rice bowls. Sort of ran out of time, so this is essentially a prototype/trial piece. When the challenge was posed, for some reason I started thinking ‘boat’ rather than ‘bowl’, and there were a couple turning ideas I had wanted to try out – both could be characterized as ‘cut and paste’. At least for this one, I suppose Stephen Hogbin’s work was the inspiration for the ‘cut and paste’ aspect, but the idea for the base was mine.

I am a great fan of rice – I almost never have potatoes in the house except when preparing a batch of clam chowder for family gatherings, to go with clam cakes. A standard rice bowl is just too small. Most of the last 40 years, however, my rice eating has been in the Near East, where rice is an important component of the cuisine (in Iran, one test of a cook’s ability is how they cook rice), but ‘rice bowls’ are lacking. I’ve eaten lots of rice, even in southeast Asia, but my rice-eating experience involving actual ‘rice bowls’ has been entirely in Chinese restaurants.

Turned from some cherry 6/4 cut-offs I was given. The ‘bowls’ are 7" long, 2½” wide, and 2½” deep. The chopsticks are also cherry, 8" long. This was the first time I had tried this‘cut and paste’ approach – turn a bowl, cut it into pieces, and reassemble. I think I’ll try doing some more. No special tools. Lacquer finish. I did turn a pair of beech chopsticks, but decided not to use them in these photos.

The ‘bowl’ rocks very nicely in the base.

Or perhaps it is a pita, or taco?
Attachments
DSCF9850 ROCKIN RICE1.jpg
DSCF9859 ROCKIN RICE3.jpg
DSCF9871 ROCKIN RICE5 .jpg

David Keller

Re: Rockin’ Rice, or Rice ‘n’ Roll

Postby David Keller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:59 pm

Robert, those are really cool! I'm guessing the bases were made from the 'leftover' portions from the rice boats? I think it's probably the most creative form I've seen for the challenge, and it makes me want to try and do something similar. Thanks for sharing!

Tim Rinehart
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Postby Tim Rinehart » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Very cool technique and end piece, and I think making it just under the wire! Well done!
Sawdust Engineer

Be sure to visit this site's front page here, Woodturners Unlimited

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Love the imagination on all these! Nice work Robert!
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Postby Robert Henrickson » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 pm

David Keller wrote:I'm guessing the bases were made from the 'leftover' portions from the rice boats?

That's right. One prototype I got the profile 'wrong' and the bowl was too narrow to be suspended and rock.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Now that's the cat's meow! Very creative.

I agree with David (but don't tell him). Makes me want to start all over and try something like this.

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Took me a while to figure out what you had done here. Those are really cool! Rice bowls or banana split bowls, suit yourself, they're just really nice.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:44 am

Really unique and very creative! Outstanding!

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Postby Robert Henrickson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks for the comments! I hadn't expected the 'bowl' (bowlt?) to rock when I was planning -- what passes for 'planning' when I do something -- but that was a nice surprise I glued up the first one. And all of the turned bowl actually got put to use.

Return to “Winter 2013/2014 - Rice Bowls & Chopsticks”