Turning of the Week
New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention

hello from a very wet and windy England

New?? Please stop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Martin gill

hello from a very wet and windy England

Post by Martin gill » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:41 am

Hello everyone.
I have just started wood turning about 5 months ago and absolutely love it.
As a new turner I am still learning how to use the chisels properly, etc, etc , but I am improving every time.
I must have watched about 200 YouTube videos, which I think have helped me quite a lot.
I attempted to make a wood turners pencil over the weekend, and I did a fantastic job of the turning side until I had to press everything together, all went well with the bushings and center collar only to fail on the last hurdle when attaching the mechanism to the collet which holds the lead and snapped the mechanism tube,
I was gutted to say the least, so I have had to order another pencil kit for the one part, as I cant find anywhere that sells the tube on its own.
Anyway enough about that, a bit about myself, I turn 50 this year in September and so does the wife, I live in a county called Cheshire and a town called Crewe which is the home to Bentley motor cars, which is where I also work.
I have been playing chess for the last 30 odd years and travel playing in tournaments across England but over the past year or two have lost a lot of passion for the game and taken turning up instead
cheers
Martin

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: hello from a very wet and windy England

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 am

Welcome to our site Martin! When you get the time, please go to the Discussion Forum and share some photos of your work. We all love photos!! If you have any questions about the site, woodturning, etc., please let us know as we are all here to help.

Also, when you have time, please add you location to your User Profile. Always fun to know where everyone is from.
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Les Symonds

Re: hello from a very wet and windy England

Post by Les Symonds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Welcome Martin....from a wet and windy Wales. You may consider yourself lucky, Martin, because we here in Wales (on the western fringes of Britain) take the sting out of the weather before it comes your way :lol:
I'm based in Bala, at www.prenturners.co.uk, just an hour or two's drive from you.
What size tube are you after....I keep quite a few in stock? If you don't know the tube size, let me know the name of the kit manufacturer/supplier and I'll see what I can find for you.
Les