Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Too Many Mushrooms

Jerry Maske

Too Many Mushrooms

Postby Jerry Maske » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:05 am

Second try at posting this picture. Guess I don't understand the process.

Jerry
WEIRD PLATTER.jpg

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Too Many Mushrooms

Postby Chuck Jones » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:52 am

Jerry,
Sorry you had trouble with the photo upload process. The description HERE might be helpful to you. But obviously you have found your way through the maze by now. I notice you reduced the photo to 580x480 pixels and it still looks good, but you do not have to reduce it that much. This site will accept photo size up to 1000 pixels in the longest dimension. The file size limit is 500,000 bytes (500k). That is rarely an issue if the dimensions are less than 1000x1000.

My limited skills with modern day computer techniques are not as limited as my ability to critique an embellished turning, so my comment should not be taken too seriously. That said, it looks like you have all the basics under control and I have seen several platters with this same painting technique (I don't remember what it is called). My wife does a lot of it on glass. To be honest I don't personally care for this much color on a wood piece. I think I might like it better if it were a very narrow band of color close to the outer edge of the piece. It looks like this wood has some nice character so it might be better to let more of the bare wood have a say. Just my "topence", or 2 cents.

Marc Himes

Postby Marc Himes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:16 pm

I really like it, Chuck. To me the proportions of vibrant color and black are just right and the way you outlined the color with the grooves of natural wood really set it up well. Cosmic cloud is on my list to try.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 am

I'm a fan of vibrant color so I do like it. Wonder if it would be possible to blend the color changes rather than have sharp divisions. Might be too hard to do but I think that could be an area to look for improvement. I do think the black border separating the color from the natural wood works well.

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am

I still haven't figured out how you do this cosmic cloud kind of pattern. But as Bob has said, I think it would improve the overall appearance if the colors were blended more. Other than that, it's a beauty. I'm very impressed with how well you've managed to keep all the lines between wood and color so crisp and sharp.
BTW, is this done with paints, dyes, inks?

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:14 pm

My wife was just in my shop and saw this on the computer monitor and said "WOW, I love it!" Fortunately she did not see my comments above. :D

Return to “Woodturning Discussion and Sharing”