Turning of the Week
New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention

2018...so far

Mike Cruz

2018...so far

Post by Mike Cruz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Well, my first shows are upon me. One this weekend, then one the following. I'm particularly excited about the one next weekend. It is the ACC (American Crafts Council) show in Baltimore. Hefty booth fee, but hoping it is equally rewarding. I do have some bowls left over from last year (15 of them), but here is what I've done so far this year. Actually, I have a 22" x 9" NE cherry burl bowl and an 18" or so Persimmon bowl that aren't include in this pic because they weren't ready to be buffed yet. But on my dining room table are 22 new turnings done this year. They range from 10" to 16". They include curly walnut, walnut crotch, ambrosia maple, maple burl, cherry burl, and box elder. I took individual shots of 3 of them. Might be posting those later...
Jan 2018 - Copy.jpg
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: 2018...so far

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Wow - they all look great Mike! Best of luck with your shows!! 2thumbsup
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Curt Fuller

Post by Curt Fuller » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 am

I don't think I've turned that many bowls in my life. I know I haven't turned than many beauties like those. Good luck!

Steve Mawson

Post by Steve Mawson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 am

Looking good, hope the shows go well. Hope the weather is good as well, with this winter you never know. :)

Les Symonds

Post by Les Symonds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 am

A good selection of colour, form and type, Mike. I trust that the shows will go well for you, you certainly deserve it!
Les

Jim Seyfried

Post by Jim Seyfried » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 am

Wow! That is quite a selection and even more impressive that you made them all (and more) this year. I hope they all sell quickly for you! I'm curious about the Persimmon bowl, I thought that wood is extremely hard as it was commonly used for golf clubs. Isn't that why they were called woods? Was it noticeably harder to turn? Looking forward to seeing the individual shots too! :1thumbup
Play safe...don't forget your protective gear!

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the sentiments and 'good luck vibes'. :D

Jim, yes, persimmon was used for the heads of 'woods' back in the day. I don't think it was used so much because it was so hard as much as for its qualities. Just like ash isn't the hardest wood, but it is used for baseball bats. Its ratio of hardness to weight (and how 'stringy' the fibers are) make it perfect for bats. The persimmon I got fell down in a storm a year or so back. So, by the time I got to it, it wasn't what I would call new green condition. There was a lot of discoloration, especially at the ends of the log. Spalting? I guess. Blacks, greens, greys...but blotchy, not 'lines'. I'll post pics of that after I get it buffed out sometime next week. But to answer your other question, no, it wasn't particularly hard at all. No more than others...

Mike Foster

Post by Mike Foster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Wow. Pretty impressive amount of work. I can count on one hand how much has come out of my shop.
Michael Foster
http://breezyhillturning.com
90% of the cells in your body carry their own microbial DNA and are not “you.”

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Mike, each one of your pieces takes the time of many of mine. I simply don't have the time into each turning that you do. Not that I don't already highly respect your talents, but if you produced 24 of YOUR types of turnings in about a month, I think my head would explode!

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Chuck Jones » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Are you ready for some show and tell and sell? I believe you are. Very nice selection. Another "wishing you well with the sales". I'm also looking forward to seeing the persimmon bowl.

I've turned a lot of persimmon and it's one of my favorites, but around here it's unusual to find a persimmon tree that large. They deteriorate rapidly when they get beyond 12-14 inches diameter. In my earlier days of turning I thought deterioration was bad and threw most of it away. Now I know better and wish I'd kept more of it.

I have read some interesting articles on persimmon. I did a search and the first article that came up is right HERE in the archives of the "Front Page" of Woodturners Unlimited, written by my friend Emmett Manley. I had totally forgotten this one.

Roger Chandler

Post by Roger Chandler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 am

Very nice bowls, Mike! Good luck with your show!
Vision......not just what you see......it is seeing what can be, not just what is!

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Post by Bob Rotche » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Really impressive output, Mike! Though if you're not careful, it may start to feel like work... Good luck with your shows.

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Chuck Jones wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm
Are you ready for some show and tell and sell? I believe you are. Very nice selection. Another "wishing you well with the sales". I'm also looking forward to seeing the persimmon bowl.

I've turned a lot of persimmon and it's one of my favorites, but around here it's unusual to find a persimmon tree that large. They deteriorate rapidly when they get beyond 12-14 inches diameter. In my earlier days of turning I thought deterioration was bad and threw most of it away. Now I know better and wish I'd kept more of it.

I have read some interesting articles on persimmon. I did a search and the first article that came up is right HERE in the archives of the "Front Page" of Woodturners Unlimited, written by my friend Emmett Manley. I had totally forgotten this one.
Thanks, Chuck. Yeah...I'm ready to sell. We'll see how they go... Yeah, I agree about persimmon trees being this large. I have a buddy that has a lot of persimmon trees...but they are all in the 12" range. I found this one to be 'out of the ordinary', too. I'll post pics when it is done.
Roger Chandler wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 am
Very nice bowls, Mike! Good luck with your show!
Thanks, Roger. Hey heard you got a new Grizzly. Just took a look at it online. Looks to be quite the deal! I look forward to your review of it, as I might be in the market at some point.
Bob Rotche wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm
Really impressive output, Mike! Though if you're not careful, it may start to feel like work... Good luck with your shows.
Too late, Bob...it is work. :) Though, doing something you love for work ain't all bad.

Roger Chandler

Post by Roger Chandler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

Hey Mike....you are welcome to stop by and kick the tires on the Grizzly beast if you like! Just communicate! ;)
Vision......not just what you see......it is seeing what can be, not just what is!

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 am

If I get the time, I just might go that...thanks for the invite.