Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Box Elder burl bowl- Winner TOTW 10-8-2017

Curt Fuller

Box Elder burl bowl- Winner TOTW 10-8-2017

Postby Curt Fuller » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Unlike the the walnut calabash I also posted today, this is one of those pieces where you let the wood decide on the shape. It's kind of a spherical shaped bowl where the natural edge of the wood just created it's own rim. Box Elder burl, 8" x 6.5", WOP and buffed.
BEBurl NE Bowl 1.JPG

BEBurl NE Bowl 2.JPG

Matt Hirvonen

Re: Box Elder burl bowl

Postby Matt Hirvonen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 pm

An amazing bowl, Curt! I love the form and figure, and the natural edge is fantastic. This is one of those pieces that I would like to pick up and examine in detail... Well done!

David DeCristoforo

Postby David DeCristoforo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Sweet! I really like the partial sphere thing. Especially the “fan” in the second pic.

Dick Kelly
Advisory Board Member

Postby Dick Kelly » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am

Nicely done, Curt. It took some imagination to see this shape in a chunk of wood, then to get it turned out. I'm with David in liking the grain orientation around the rim. -- Dick

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 am

Love, love, love this shape, Curt. I think I would have liked to have seen this a smidge thinner, but pics often don't tell the whole story or alter perspective. What a great turning!
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Tim Rinehart
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Postby Tim Rinehart » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Curt, I like it and the weight looks good to my eyes. The fan is a great feature and I'm sure it's a sweet bowl to hold. Well done!! 2thumbsup
Sawdust Engineer

Be sure to visit this site's front page here, Woodturners Unlimited

David DeCristoforo

Postby David DeCristoforo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:49 am

I've always liked turned spheres. And I'm not alone. There was a long discussion following Michael Gibson's most recent post regarding form. Form is a big deal for turners. If you look into it bit, the "commonly accepted ideal" for a turned vessel's form is based on human scale any anything that deviates from that is invariably called into question. The one exception is the sphere. The sphere is like Sara Lee ads... nobody doesn't like it. There are few shapes that are as totally in opposition to the "commonly accepted ideal" for turned vessels But you would have to look far to find a posting of a sphere, hollowed or not, that invokes a lengthy discussion of form.

This sphere looks like it's had it's top blown off. The natural edge adds a dynamic element that disrupts the peaceful quality that a complete sphere offers, one of the reasons, I think, that the sphere is so universally accepted. Curt's choice of grain orientation here is excellent and takes full advantage of the figure. This might be even more important than form (Gasp!) For us woodworkers, each piece of wood is unique. We have one chance to make the best of it. We may have another, equally beautiful piece available if we screw up the one at hand but it will never be exactly the same.

Well done all around and my choice for this weeks TOTW

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Worthy, certainly! Congrats, Curt.
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks David! I only wish I could honestly say all those wonder things went through my head as I turned this. But in reality, I just put it on the lathe and see what comes of it. I do appreciate everyone's comments and insight!

Josh Bowman
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Re: Box Elder burl bowl- Winner TOTW 10-8-2017

Postby Josh Bowman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:46 pm

David DeCristoforo

Postby David DeCristoforo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Curt Fuller wrote:Thanks David! I only wish I could honestly say all those wonder things went through my head as I turned this. But in reality, I just put it on the lathe and see what comes of it. I do appreciate everyone's comments and insight!

I think that's true for a lot of us. It's rare that I put a piece of wood on the lathe with a clear picture in my mind of what I want to end up with. And when I do, it's even more rare that the end result even closely resembles the picture I started out with. So it goes...

Emiliano Achaval

Re: Box Elder burl bowl- Winner TOTW 10-8-2017

Postby Emiliano Achaval » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:58 am

Excellent piece.

Return to “Woodturning Discussion and Sharing”