Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Twisted- Winner TOTW 11-19-2017

Mike Foster

Twisted- Winner TOTW 11-19-2017

Postby Mike Foster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 pm

I recently stumbled on a new class of minimal surfaces based on warping a torus. These forms are called Bianchi-Pinkall Flat Tori, named after the mathematicians who described them. The end result is very similar to other work I have done based on knots and tori. As with many of these forms, this piece is a Mobius (better described as a non-orientable surface) having only one side and one continuous edge.

The form started life on the lathe as a turned torus, but then it was all carving after that to arrive at the final form. The entire edge of the form lay on the surface of the original torus, and is all that is left of the turned torus.

Sugar Maple
Bleach, Bush Oil
Stainless steel, Soapstone

all comments and critiques welcome

256A7455.jpg

256A7461.jpg

256A7460.jpg
Michael Foster
http://breezyhillturning.com
90% of the cells in your body carry their own microbial DNA and are not “you.”

Curt Fuller

Re: Twisted

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:33 pm

I'd say that's twisted! I've probably looked at these "modern art" type shapes my entire life and never really appreciated them until you came along and explained the math and the fact there's more to them than just an unusual shape. I certainly don't understand the math but the one sided, one edged shape makes sense the more I look at it. On a more personal note, this particular piece, along with its name brings back a lot of childhood memories for me. My mother was a master at the ear twist and I gave her plenty of reasons to practice it. This piece is probably a lot like what my ear looked like when she grabbed it and it's a wonder it still doesn't.
Beautiful and interesting work as always Mike!

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:24 am

Curt Fuller wrote:...On a more personal note, this particular piece, along with its name brings back a lot of childhood memories for me. My mother was a master at the ear twist and I gave her plenty of reasons to practice it. This piece is probably a lot like what my ear looked like when she grabbed it and it's a wonder it still doesn't...

Curt you need to be on stage, or locked up. It's almost midnight, my wife and my dog are sound asleep and I'm sitting here laughing until my sides hurt. I saw Mike's Twisted and had very similar "ear" thoughts but I could never have verbalized it as well as you did.

Mike, if it's not too late to be serious, I seriously like this piece maybe even more than I usually like your work. In spite of the underlying complexities it has a certain simplicity to it, along with a lot of nice smooth curves. Really one of my favorites.

Les Symonds

Postby Les Symonds » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 am

This is one of those pieces for which we instantly know the maker and as your pieces go, Mike, it delivers in spades. I've stared and stared at it, following its curve and getting back to where I started. Intriguing!
Les

hughie mackay

Postby hughie mackay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 am

Wow Mike another amazing piece, very impressive
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 am

This is, in its simplicity (not easy, I'm sure...but not as 'complicated' as others you've done), very intriguing. I cannot help but see a pelvis and and ear...but I don't mean that disrespectfully.

Holy cow...after writing my comments, I went back and read what others wrote. Not only was the ear reference made, but 'simplicity' and 'intriguing' were used as well. I swear I didn't read the other comments before I replied.
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Tim Rinehart
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Postby Tim Rinehart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Mike, I'm in awe at the fluidness of this sort of work...you've done it again. I am typically content to accept that I don't need to know how you get from a block of wood to the finished piece, but I'm curious with this one by your comment "The form started life on the lathe as a turned torus " .
Any chance you have a picture of that?
Kudos on another mindbender! 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Sawdust Engineer

Be sure to visit this site's front page here, Woodturners Unlimited

Alan Trout

Postby Alan Trout » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Mike your work is always awesome and it is so nice to see you continue your wonderful work. This piece is no exception, classic Mike Foster! and my pick for TOTW.

Alan

Josh Bowman
Site Admin & Advisory Board

Re: Twisted- Winner TOTW 11-19-2017

Postby Josh Bowman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Mike - congrats on winning TOTW! No words come to me about this piece (simply because it is out of my comfort zone/skill set) other than to say that I really enjoy the flow! Had to laugh at Curt's ear reference and must admit - I had the same thought. As much as you are enjoying creating fluid motion, you should consider a clear or transparent acrylic as a medium. It's a real mess to work with but would really add a new dimension by playing with the light at the same time our eyes follow the motion in your forms! 2thumbsup
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

hughie mackay

Postby hughie mackay » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:43 am

.... and its a winner in more ways than one. 2thumbsup Congratulations Mike.
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Dick Kelly
Advisory Board Member

Postby Dick Kelly » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

I commented on this elsewhere, Mike, and I still like it here. You are capable of a unique set of mental gymnastics to do these minimal surface vessels. congratulations on TOTW. -- Dick

Mike Foster

Postby Mike Foster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks all for the comments and thanks to Alan for picking this piece for the honor.

I really had no Freudian slip regarding the ear reference. Totally did not enter my mind as I was just trying to capture the math form. Reference to twisted ears seems almost a instant response to this piece though. I had to laugh at Curt's post as well. I think part of the resemblance comes from using the bleached maple and the color of the piece. Not sure it would struck folks as much had it been done in a dark wood like walnut.

Tim, I did not take any process pics. The piece started as a torus, think donut, about 10" in diameter with the cross section as close to a circle as I could get using templates. Takes some ingenuity to figure out how to hold it once it gets near done.

Steve, I'm sure these would be awesome in acrylic but I hate to think of the mess that would make. Maybe someday I'll try it.

Thanks again all.
Michael Foster
http://breezyhillturning.com
90% of the cells in your body carry their own microbial DNA and are not “you.”

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Postby Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Mike, your work was one of the reasons why I initially got fascinated with woodturning a few years ago, and it it's still awe inspiring. My personal path is taking a different direction right now, but I still have the utmost admiration for your pieces.

Return to “Woodturning Discussion and Sharing”