Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

My first submission!

John Shillabeer

My first submission!

Postby John Shillabeer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm

I have been lurking in the background of this site for a long time but finally plucked up the courage to submit a photo.
And after at least one false start I think I managed to send the photo as well as the text.

This piece has been hanging outdoors for some some time,but has stood up to the weather reasonably well.
It started life as a cherry disc about 9 inches diameter and after cutting is mounted on a piece of painted hardboard.

Even after more that a year I haven't thought of a suitable name for it. Any suggestions?

Comments and critique welcome of course.

John
Attachments
DSCN0077_01_01.JPG
Last edited by John Shillabeer on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Re: My first submission!

Postby Chuck Jones » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:17 pm

John, something must have gone wrong with posting the photo. If you are having problems let us know and we will see if we can help.

Glad to have your participation here.

John Shillabeer

Postby John Shillabeer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

I thought I had attached the photo. It was just under 900kb. Could it have been deleted on account of the file size?
Would someone give me step by step instructions about inserting or attaching the photo, please?
Thanks
John

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:55 pm

John,
The longest side, width or height, must be under 1024 pixels and the file size must be under 512,000 bytes. Oddly enough if the longest dimension is exactly 1024 it sometimes causes problems so 1000 is a good target.

To include a photo:
While you have the post or reply screen open scroll down until you see Attachments tab
Click Add files
Find and select the photo(s) on your computer
Repeat for additional photos.
The uploaded files/photos should appear in a table.
Either place them in line or just leave them as attachments.

If you choose you can go back to your original post, click the pencil (edit) then add your photos/files to the original post.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 am

Looks like you figured it out, John. I think this looks great! Really interesting way to cut apart and re-assemble a turning. I think you achieved a really nice balance as well as sense of movement. I think the lighter circles on the disc work well in the re-assembly. There are a number of artists active now with similar cut and paste techniques. Lots of room for creativity. Can try it with a bowl shape and have lots of 3 dimensional variations. Now that you've gotten one under your belt, hope to see lots more posts from you!

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 am

John - happy to see you posting! I really like this! Looks like a bird in flight. :1thumbup
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Matt Hirvonen

Postby Matt Hirvonen » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 am

Cool first post John, and welcome to WTU! I agree with Steve that my first impression was of a bird... so maybe you can call it "free-bird" (if you are a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan). Very creative composition, I like it a lot and are looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Very cool!

John Shillabeer

Postby John Shillabeer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks folks for your encouraging words.
Here are two more. They were my first attempts and preceded the "bird" The cutting and pasting is not particularly original, but I think the use of the oblique spray using an airbrush to get coloured shadows may be original.
Again these are from maple discs, turned to get a surface "texture", cut and then mounted on a piece of painted hardboard.
After I finished the vertical one on the red background I thought it rather reminiscent of a bomb. I hope you can think of something a bit happier.

John
Attachments
DSCN0078_01.JPG
DSCN0079_02.JPG

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Postby Robert Henrickson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 am

Nice work. I did a number of things similar to this several years ago when I ran across work by Duane Gemelke, who published an article in American Woodturner 15(1) [2000], pp 12-15 "Turning on to Sculpture: Shape, slice and reassemble to trick the eye"

Return to “Current Challenge - "Cut and Paste"”