Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Artificial Christmas Tree

Steve Mawson

Artificial Christmas Tree

Postby Steve Mawson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Three years ago after buying real Christmas trees for about 45 years my wife and I decided to buy a artificial tree. Very nice tree that had lights already on it. Then there was a remote that would change light colors and functions as to how the lights showed. This is the 4th year for the tree and this year none of the functions work except for one color. $300 dollar tree so we are just under $100 per year for the tree. Thinking this is a little on the short side for something costing that much to keep working so I emailed the company for suggestions on how the get it back to working like it did when new. To my surprise they suggested a refund which hopefully is in the process after I emailed them a copy of the receipt which we fortunately still had. So we will see if the process continues to come to a successful end. Never had this problem with a real one :D . This one certainly does not leave needles all the way through the house to the door which is good, don't have to water it either. :bonk:

Mike Cruz

Re: Artificial Christmas Tree

Postby Mike Cruz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 pm

I think that the 'not leaving needles across the living room' is enough for the $300 for ONE year! :D

Hey, good on the company for standing up. Hope it all gets resolved. That said, I'm a real tree guy. Might be because I used to sheer, cut, bail, and sell them in my youth... Old habits die hard.
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm curious to know who you bought that tree from. That kind of service isn't common, especially on something like an artificial Christmas tree.
Your post came just as I spent the day picking out a live tree with my wife. My wife helps run a small museum http://www.wp.nohmuseum.org/ (shameless plug) and they wanted a real tree as part of a Christmas open house they have coming up. Real trees are in short supply here this year. Drought, fires, etc in Oregon and Montana have forced some of the local dealers to bag it this year. But this is the first time in about 20 years I've walked through the tree lots smelling that great pine smell and it made me want to get a real one. Then I think about the mess, keeping it watered, putting the lights on (and taking them off) and said maybe next year. BTW, 7-8' trees are going for about $100 here.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:02 am

Curt, their great CS might have to do with liability. If it isn't working properly, that might indicate bad wiring, and that might indicate a fire hazard. Lots of mights...but that could be the reason. OR they might just stand behind their product. But which do you think is more likely? ;)

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 am

This is a little off your original point but I am reminded of something that still gives me a chuckle when I think about it.

Many years ago my crazy brother-in-law would run a classified ad in the local paper a day or two after Christmas which read "Wanted: Used Christmas Trees. Drop them in my front yard at [insert address of a friend]."

Steve Mawson

Postby Steve Mawson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Got the tree from Home Depot and also qualified for a 10% military discount. Agree with not having the mess when you take the tree out and all the light situation. I don't miss all the work of a real one either. Sometimes we have candles that smell like pine and that is a good substitute :) .

Some of the biggest fights my wife and I ever had was looking for a real christmas tree for several years after we got married. Of course one of my issues was I didn't want to spend over $10.00 cause thats all we had.

Looked up the museum Curt, pretty neat place. I like that kind of museum. Trees around here are probably around $50.00 for a 6-7 footer of course each size is never as tall as the tag says. After we moved to North Carolina we started buying Frazer Furs which I think are about the nicest tree we ever had. Kept buying them after we moved back to the Midwest as a lot of places bring them in from Minnesota and Wisconsin. I think the big box stores might sell them at about cost. Still not as many real tree lots as there used to be.

Chuck, I hope I don't have any friends like that.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:31 am

Steve, I don't want to hijack your thread, but since you brought up Christmas trees... live versus artificial, spousal debates, etc. I am reminded of a one-time, special Christmas tree acquisition our family undertook.

In the 1970's when we were living in Phoenix you could apply to the National Forest Service for a Christmas tree cutting permit. We did that one year and although the odds were slim our name was drawn for one of the forests on the Mogollon Rim. We set out from Phoenix on a balmy 70-75 degree day in a 1964 International Scout packed with Glenda's parents, our three pre-teens, the two of us, and a Boston Terrier. We had a hard time convincing the grandparents to take along some winter clothing.

When we reached the forest an hour or so later the temperature was about 30 degrees with a heavy snow on the ground. In these pictures it doesn't look as deep as we remember it, but I think that's because it was drifted much deeper around the trees. I remember having to dig out around numerous trees before we reached a consensus on which one to cut down.

It was quite an outing that our children (now in their 50's) still cherish.
Pie_890.jpg
Pie_891.jpg

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:14 am

Hehe, okay chuck...let me get this right: Do I see your WIFE dragging the tree out? :roflmao: Now, I'm not laughing at the idea or fact that a woman is dragging a tree (no reason they cannot), but...um...rather that you (and she) were okay with her doing it AND you taking a pic of it. :D

Oh, and is that a con-colour you picked out?

Steve Mawson

Postby Steve Mawson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Three or fours ago we were on our way to Phoenix in mid February and stopped overnight in Flagstaff. Came about 5-6 inches of wet snow that night so took a while to clear off the truck before we headed to Phoenix the next morning. Of course it gets warmer all the way down to Phoenix and if I remember right we ran out of the snow at about 5000 feet. Probably was in the 60's by the time we got to the hotel in Phoenix. We stayed for a couple weeks and it was really nice till we headed back to NE and of course it was cold when we got back here. Over the years we have made several trips to Flagstaff when we were staying in Phoenix during the winter and usually saw snow when we were there so I can relate to seeing snow when you went for the Christmas tree. Must have been your lucky year to draw a permit to cut your own.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Mike Cruz wrote:... is that a con-colour you picked out?
What's a con-colour? :(

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:51 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Chuck, you crack me up! It is a type of evergreen, sometimes used for Christmas trees...but not as widely and often as Fraser Fir, Douglas, Fir, Spruce (mostly blue...but sometimes black), and White Pine (I won't mention that nasty assed ugly cheapo Scotch Pine...awe crap...I just did!). Oh, and sorry, no hyphen in it...just Concolour.

concolor-fir.jpg

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:06 am

Mike, I gotta admit, that was the first time I've heard of a Concolour. I thought it was a typo.
Chuck, when I was a kid (probably not much older than your kids in those pictures) we would go out in Nevada near Elko and cut trees. We'd get a whole pickup load for family and neighbors. Out there we were cutting pinyon pine. And when we got home we had to have a shake down for wood ticks. But those were good times. My dad would let us drive the truck around on the mountain roads and drink a beer. Great memories!

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 am

Curt (and Chuck), the reason I know about them is that I sold Christmas trees for about 9 years in my youth. The people I did that for/with was my second family, and they had they own tree farm in Western Maryland...far Western Maryland...as in as far west as you can go in MD, right on the WV border. Mostly Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, and White Pine. But they did have some Concolour Fir, too. When you crush the Concolour needles, they smell like tangerines! Always loved those trees... Anyway, while in southwest CO (Durango) at a dude ranch in 2008, as we rode horseback through the mountains, we were surrounded by them. Gave me the warm fuzzies...

Steve Mawson

Postby Steve Mawson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Well back to the original topic. A couple days ago by UPS I got a envelope delivered to my front door with a check from the tree company for the total amount of my purchase 4 years ago. I am truly amazed, I guess there is a Santa Claus 2thumbsup . Now to look for a new tree, probably after Christmas when they are on sale. I looked online and to me new artificial trees must have gone up 30% or more over the last 4 years. I even saw some at $799.00 on sale. Must have gold leaves. Probably the only time I have got a 100% refund 4 years after I bought the product. :)

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm

If I were you, Steve, I'd be offended that they didn't give you 'today's value' or 'replacement value'. Cheap buggers! :roflmao: Hey, good on that company, and lucky you. We should all be so fortunate...

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 pm

This has nothing to do with Artificial Christmas Trees but everything to do with how good natured Home Depot can be. And it's a pretty embarrassing story about my ability to read a tape measure. A couple years ago we redid most of our house. I ordered 6 different window blinds from HD, about $1500 worth. They came delivered to my house. When I tried to install them not a single one fit. 5 were 6" too short and the 6th was 6" to narrow. I was sure HD had screwed up so I dug out the paper work and the blinds measured exactly what I had ordered. But, there's always a but, I had stapled my hand written measurements to my copy of the order. They were also exactly the same measurements as were on my order. So I put a tape on the windows and I had written the measurements down wrong. (This is very common for me. Some kind of thing with numbers :oops: ) I took the blinds back to HD and explained what I had done, just to see if there was anyway they could help me out with a new order. Without even blinking an eye, they credited the entire amount back to my credit card and re-ordered new blinds with the correct measurements (that my wife measured). The only thing they charged me was the difference in the sale price from when I had originally ordered them and the new price because they weren't on sale anymore. They ate the $1500 and it was 100% my fault. So between this and Steve's Christmas Tree story, I'm a true believer in Home Depot's customer service.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 pm

How do you go wrong with a company like that, Curt? I've had that kind of CS from Best Buy...though oddly, I have friends that have had nothing but headaches from them. They've always treated me right...

Steve Mawson

Postby Steve Mawson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:21 am

Curt I had the same issue with blinds for warehouse windows however none were too short. So some windows have the blinds over the frame and some have the blinds inside the frame. They were all supposed to fit inside :oops: , only 4 windows and it was a warehouse :roll: and too much trouble to take them back.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”