Turning of the Week
New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention

No winter this year.

Curt Fuller

No winter this year.

Post by Curt Fuller » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 am

To those of you that have endured some of the coldest winter weather ever this year this might seem strange. But this morning I walked out into the road at the end of my driveway, barefoot, and took a picture of Ben Lomond Peak to show what kind of winter, or what lack of winter we've had here in Utah and much of the west. In many ways I've enjoyed it. Haven't even started the snowblower, been doing some pruning and yard work that would normally have to wait until March or April. But this is going to make for a tough summer of water rationing and fires. There's still a few months for snow but so far it's been a bust.
1-25-2018.JPG
This is how it should be......
IMG_0130.JPG

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: No winter this year.

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

Well that's not good! I remember living out west and the term 'tinder dry' sure comes to mind. I am happy that someone can enjoy the warmer temps but know from experience just how much fun water rationing can be. Seems like the west always runs short on water.

I imagine that the skiing industry is really hurting. Lots of time for snow yet but it is going to take a bunch to even get close to what should have already been on the ground. Know any good snow dances?
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Steve Mawson

Post by Steve Mawson » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:49 pm

To have that view at the end of the driveway would be fantastic, snow or no snow. Being a farm kid I guess I know a little about dry weather. We have been in AZ since Dec. 30th and they are calling it dry here as well. They did have a good monsoon season but that was back in July-August so guess most of it is gone. Several rivers out here also but has to be a down poor to have any water in them although they did flow many years ago. Unseasonably warm this winter also, average should be in the high 60's and so far only a couple days below that with most days mid to high 70's and over 80 today. Flagstaff is very short on snow also, trying to make it at the snow bowl but too warm during the days. We will hope for more before spring.

Mike Cruz

Post by Mike Cruz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 pm

EEK! Go do a snow dance! So...I have to ask... Have you no snow or no precip? I mean, has it been raining, but not cold enough for it to snow? Here, though we've had some of our coldest temps ever, and longest periods of said cold, whenever it has precipitated, it has been above freezing. In the past week, we got two 'ice' storms. The latter one left every tree branch, bush, every blade of grass with at least 1/4" of ice. But we've skirted any 'significant' snow falls this winter. So, our water tables are fine. That's why I'm asking...
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Curt Fuller

Post by Curt Fuller » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am

We haven't gotten much precip at all. I just saw a chart that said my local area was 55% of normal. Most of that came at about Christmas time. We have some dry winters now and then but what makes this one strange to me is how warm it is. I spent the last two days out working in my yard trimming bushes in shirt sleeves....in February. It was almost 60 degrees yesterday. Supposed to be the same today. It's been a couple weeks since it has gotten below freezing even at night. I've been loving it but I know we'll pay the price this summer.

bob baccus

Post by bob baccus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Glad you yankees are having a mild winter--worst we have had in years down herein E. Texas. Had to cover and heat my citrus and now too wet and cold for this cajun. Having to burn up my firewood supply in the wood barn--my arthritus meds bill is getting too high also. Come on global warming!