Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Glaser beading tool

hughie mackay

Glaser beading tool

Postby hughie mackay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am

I came across this and it looks promising.

http://www.glaserhitec.com/shop/shopping/38-beading/#

I wonder who might have one and how they found it for cutting beads.
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Glaser beading tool

Postby Chuck Jones » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Hughie,
I will watch this thread with interest. I have a 40+ year old Craftsman tool that looks exactly like this (minus the high tech metal and handle). It has always looked to me like a train wreck waiting to happen. I have never had the nerve to touch it to a piece of rotating wood.
IMG_3265[1].JPG

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Chuck Jones wrote:Hughie,
I will watch this thread with interest. I have a 40+ year old Craftsman tool that looks exactly like this (minus the high tech metal and handle). It has always looked to me like a train wreck waiting to happen. IMG_3265[1].JPG

I have that same Craftsman tool but not knowing the real name for it I've just called it a pointed scraper. I have used it for making beads. I just stab the tip into the wood and work around to the right then repeat working to the left. It ends up with a pretty nice bead. Like any scraping tool, the angle of delivery can make it work really well or result in that train wreck you mentioned. I think I paid about 60 bucks for the entire set of Craftsman tools when I first began turning. They're just HSS but their size and feel has made them some of my most used tools even now.

Robert Henrickson
Advisory Board Member

Postby Robert Henrickson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am

It looks like what other companies variously call a 3/8 "parting tool" or "bedan". I have one (*much* less expensive, from another company), which can be quite useful, although I haven't used it as a beading tool. My primary use currently is cutting tenons on spindles. A lot of what I do requires a tenon 3/8 long. I can cut a tenon to the proper length with a single cut and without measurement.

My favorite beading tools are the D-way set. Otherwise I use a detail gouge for beading.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Robert Henrickson wrote:It looks like what other companies variously call a 3/8 "parting tool" or "bedan"...

To me the one in Hughie's link looks exactly the shape of my old Craftsman. I may be seeing it wrong. Mine sure does not look like a parting or bedan tool. Here are better pictures.
IMG_3270.JPG
Top Down View
IMG_3268.JPG
Bottom View
IMG_3269.JPG
Side View
IMG_3266.JPG
Whatever View

I am going to try rolling a bead with it as soon as I build up the courage.

I agree on the D-way beading tools. I use the full set. That said, I do occasionally get a little tear out from the scraping action that I probably would not get from a slicing cut... if I was good enough to make decent beads by hand.

Ken Vaughan

Postby Ken Vaughan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm

I have a P&N beading tool I have used some.

This tool is NOT the pointed scraper that came with Craftsman sets of yore. Think a bedan with a double bevel that would result from flipping it over and grinding a second bevel with the edge at the mid-line.

Another comparison would be to a 3/8 inch square shanked flat ground skew with more blunt bevels.

Rolls beads both directions. Better for larger shallow beads than smaller beads with deep cuts between beads.

Did a run of beer tap handles a,few years back and used it extrnsively. Stair ballisters is a good application.

Small beads with deep groves, back to a small gouge or D-Way beading tools. (Small gouge is Thompson 1/4 inch spindle gouge ground with a longish tip)

Yes, I had to practice a bit to get the knack of using it and it was more consistent for the tap handle production run.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:51 pm

I use D-way now. Before that, I used a skew as a scraper...basically a negative rake scraper that left a quite nice finish. D-way's are much easier, though...
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

hughie mackay

Postby hughie mackay » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I dont do alot of beads, mainly on the feet theses days. On the body of the vessel, I have used my 3/8 bowl gouge to cut beads, but these days mostly use a form tool its quick and easy.
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”