Turning of the Week
New on the Front Page:
EXIF and Why It Deserves Your Attention

1st post/ton of questions.(Canadian input please)

John McBride

1st post/ton of questions.(Canadian input please)

Post by John McBride » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi,
I have lucked into a Beaver/Rockwell 3400 by doing some old iron horse trading.

Here is the thing, I haven't turned wood since 1989 in high school. So I'm going to be here quite a bit as my addiction grows.

The 3400 is coming to me without a headstock chuck. It had a One-way Talon on it but is staying with the previous owner.

I kind of need to put together a shopping list of pieces and parts to get me started. Chuck recommendations are encouraged please. Cost, as always, is a factor.

Aside from the chuck, I am a bit in the dark as far as what I'm needing to mount blanks to this little beauty.

I will mostly be doing spindle turning, but want to explore bowl, as well as small platter turning.

On my current short list are a set of Easy Wood carbide turning tools. Sorby tools later, when I get a grinder and a tutorial on sharpening them.

So, I'm hoping you all can provide me with a shopping list of basic must haves.

Thanks for having me!

John

Curt Fuller

Re: 1st post/ton of questions.(Canadian input please)

Post by Curt Fuller » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 pm

Welcome John.
There are many good chucks available nowadays. I'm not familiar with your particular lathe but you'll need to first know what the spindle size is. Most common are 1" x 8 threads per inch (tpi) and 1 1/4" x 8tpi.You can get about any chuck to fit those spindles. I would suggest either another Oneway chuck, a Vicmarc chuck, or any other that uses a threaded insert to screw onto the spindle. Chucks are a little pricey so having one that is adaptable to other lathes means you'll still be able to use it if you choose a new lathe someday. I know that Oneway will custom make an insert if your lathe has some kind of odd ball spindle. I think Vicmarc will too. Inserts come in a lot of sizes already without having one made special.
For turning bowls, I like to mount the blank between centers, a drive spur in the headstock spindle and a live center in the tailstock. But many prefer screwing the blank to a faceplate or using the large screwchuck that comes with most chucks. Whichever you choose, you can turn the outside shape of the bowl along with a tenon on the bottom. Once you've done that you turn it around and remount it, holding on to the tenon with your new chuck and complete the inside of the bowl. That's a little over simplifying the process but the point being that with a good chuck turning a bowl becomes a lot easier than the faceplate alone method.
As for the tools, I don't often use carbide tools so I can't offer much there. But I think a 3/8" spindle gouge and a 1/2" bowl gouge are my most commonly used tools. If you make your own handles you can buy premium gouges http://thompsonlathetools.com/ for much less than the carbide tools but you will need to learn how and be able to sharpen them. I think you'll become a much better turner though than with the carbide tools.
And remember, be safe and have fun.
John, I goggled your beaver rockwell lathe and it looks like it has a 7/8" x 14tpi spindle. Oneway offers an insert that size so a talon chuck https://oneway.ca/Talon-Chuck-(Complete) would be your easiest route. https://oneway.ca/products-category/ada ... eway-Talon But that's just guessing so make sure before you trust my google abilities.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Chuck Jones » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 pm

When I went to post this I noticed Curt has already addressed most of the points I brought up here, but I spent so much time typing it I am going to post it anyway. :D

John, first we're glad to have you join us.

As Steve said elsewhere, best thing you can do is find a local woodturning club. We can and will help you with questions, but you will get more quicker from association with other turners in your area.

Being short on time tonight I am going to respond to only one of the points you raised. It is not my intent to dampen your enthusiasm about the lathe, but there are a couple things you may or may not know to keep in mind before you buy chucks face plates, live centers, etc. A quick internet search leads me to believe this lathe's inboard spindle is 7/8" diameter with 14 threads per inch (tpi). I think both the spindle and tail stock accept Morse taper #1. (One reference says something different about the tail stock.) The spindle size on the vast majority of lathes today is either 1" with 8 tpi, or 1 1/4" with 8 tpi, (or metric like the Oneway lathes with which I have no experience). Both the head stock and tail stock on nearly all newer lathes accept Morse taper #2.

What does all this gibberish mean? Only that you may have to buy some attachments that would not be usable if you later decide you are hooked on woodturning and want a different lathe. Almost anything can be adapted to anything so this is not a show stopper. Just be aware you might end up with some money in parts you could not use on your next lathe, or when you do a demo on the lathe at the club you are going to join. :D

Have fun. That's what it's all about.

John McBride

Post by John McBride » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

Yes indeed Chuck. The Beaver 3400 has the 7/8"x14tpi vs the standard 1"x8tpi. So it's a bit of an odd ball. I'm told it's a solid lathe, and for what I want, at least for now, it is perfect.

Just need to nail down a Chuck. I also need to go through it and verify what if anything is missing. I know that the spur center on these can be hard to find.

It's on a table now. My plans call for me to build it a new stand with the ability to weigh load it with lead shot or sandbags. It also wouldn't hurt to have some more real estate in my shop.....hee hee

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 am

John,

Not sure if you already have this but if not, it might help when trying to figure out if you have all the parts. This is from 1961. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/83/17477.pdf
This is from 1950. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/83/6094.pdf
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

John McBride

Post by John McBride » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 am

Steve,

Thanks. I'm also on vintage machines and OWWM. I have a shop full of 'ol iron.

1947 Delta Unisaw complete with original Bullet motor. I'm the 2nd owner.

1946 cast iron base with a 1950's vintage 37-315 8" jointer.

A couple other odds and ends including a 1980's vintage Ryobi planer. The damn thing just will not die. Just keeps going, and going and cuts glass smooth. Sigh.....I want a Parks or a PM-100, but can't justify it while this thing keeps humming along.

The rest of the arsenal is hand tooling. Bailey hand planes all turn of the century vintage. Sharpening station with diamond stones or water stones depending on what I'm doing.....
I would post pictures, but they are all too large for some reason....still investigating.

The shop is currently in a one car garage. Hoping to break ground on a new shop soon.

Wow....I'm a little chatty....sorry of the off topic bunny trail.....

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Steve Schlumpf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

John, if you can resize the photos to 1024 pixels on the long side and no larger than 150kb file size, you shouldn't have any issues uploading them.
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page