Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

How to hold a large ring

Syd Sellers

How to hold a large ring

Postby Syd Sellers » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:45 am

I'm into making rings that will hold a clock face. My clock face is 6.75" in Dia. So my ring is a glued up segmented ring that is 12" outside diameter with at least a 6.75" hole in the center.... The only chuck that will begin to hold it is the cole jaw set. However, this ring is 8 sided and I need to round it on the inside and outside circumferences. It is also at least 2" thick. So the Cole jaws really don't hold it safely...

What else can be used to hold this??
Syd Sellers
Old woodturners never die, they just keep chipping away.
www.rocky-roost-woodturnings.com

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Re: How to hold a large ring

Postby Bob Rotche » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:42 am

You could make a doughnut chuck though would have to be very careful with centering the work. Would have to have several different size doughnuts to do inside and outside of ring.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 am

Syd,
I've only had a few minutes to think about this but here are a few photos of steps I took with a similar project recently. It would be helpful if I could remember how I did it but I don't. Showing these just in hopes it might seed an idea. The jam chuck was the key. I'll try to think about it more when I get back from where ever it is my wife is taking me this morning.
Attachments
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:26 am

Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 am

Bob Rotche wrote:You could make a doughnut chuck though would have to be very careful with centering the work. Would have to have several different size doughnuts to do inside and outside of ring.

Bob, I like your idea of a chuck to hold a doughnut, so I am going to investigate this a bit more.
Syd Sellers

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:09 am

Chuck Jones wrote:Syd,
I've only had a few minutes to think about this but here are a few photos of steps I took with a similar project recently. It would be helpful if I could remember how I did it but I don't. Showing these just in hopes it might seed an idea. The jam chuck was the key. I'll try to think about it more when I get back from where ever it is my wife is taking me this morning.

Chuck, I love your clock!!! Man that is a handfull for a cole jaw set...what did you do to get it to hold??? You must have make a special set of knobs for it.. I was able to use my cole jaw set with long bolts to hold my ring and I was able to get the face and the outer diameter turn and sanded. Then I put the ring in my Longworth with again long bolts and rubber tubing to protect the outer surface. I was working along very carefully and got the inner diameter cleaned up and was stating to cut the recesses for the face and clock plate when all Hell broke loose, now I have 3 hunks, no more ring...

Back to the gluing board as it were....
Syd Sellers

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:17 am

Steve, I made a Longworth several Years ago and it has worked very well. However, this project has pointed out the short falls of a Longworth chuck. You really don't get a very tight grip on the project and if you attempt to take too heavy a cut... Well, things come a part.... :bonk: So it's back to making something that will hold a doughnut... Bob mentioned something that needs to be explored a bit more....How to make a Doughnut Chuck....
Syd Sellers

Tom Sherman
Advisory Board Member

Postby Tom Sherman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:37 am

Syd I'm thinking of a sort of backing plate on a glue block, with a centering hole. you would have to make a jam chuck of sorts to fit the center of your ring with a pin on it to match the hole in the backing plate, then you could apply turner's tape to your ring and take light cuts to clean up everything.

Jerry Marcantel

Postby Jerry Marcantel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:48 am

Syd, it's 2" thick. Determine what side is going to be the face.
Jamb chuck it, and turn a tenon or recess on what is now the back side. Detail it if you like
Remove it from said jamb chuck, and re-insert it into your chuck. This is now now the face. Finish turning/detailing that side going only as deep as you think is necessary for the clock works.
That is how I would do it if I had no other means of holding.
Here, it's between centers the whole time until you remove the tenon on the clock pocket or recess, but still secure with a chuck.
The back side isn't seen, so it doesn't matter too much what it looks like, but, I would embelish the back somewhat to make the tenon/recess look a little better.

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Tom Sherman wrote:Syd I'm thinking of a sort of backing plate on a glue block, with a centering hole. you would have to make a jam chuck of sorts to fit the center of your ring with a pin on it to match the hole in the backing plate, then you could apply turner's tape to your ring and take light cuts to clean up everything.

Well Tom, I just finished my backing plate....16" diameter Aluminum 1/4" thick and mounted on my 6" face plate.... I'm going to true it up a bit then the job of making a ring that leaves the center exposed so I can clean up the center portion then I can hold it pretty well with my Cole Jaws....
Syd Sellers

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your great ideas, I think I have a much safer set up now... Pics to follow...
Syd Sellers

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Syd Sellers wrote:Thanks everyone for your great ideas, I think I have a much safer set up now... Pics to follow...

As promised here are a few end product Pics.
newDSC02006.jpg
Retirement Clock

newDSC02005.jpg
Second one.

If anyone wants to see pics of my Doughnut chuck, let me know.
Syd Sellers

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:16 am

Looks like you got it figured out, Syd! Would love to see pics of your doughnut chuck. I've occasionally thought it would be very useful but have yet to get around to making one.

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:33 am

Bob Rotche wrote:Looks like you got it figured out, Syd! Would love to see pics of your doughnut chuck. I've occasionally thought it would be very useful but have yet to get around to making one.

Bob, it's really a simple thing, you just need to get your mind wrapped around it. I did a write up on my website, have a look.http://www.rocky-roost-woodturnings.com ... ghnut.html
This unit sure takes the danger out of turning something that almost fits in your Cole chuck jaws....
Safe turning...
Syd Sellers

Tom Sherman
Advisory Board Member

Postby Tom Sherman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Very cool Syd, looks like it should hold up well.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:33 am

Looks great, Syd! Definitely on my list of things to do.

Syd Sellers

Postby Syd Sellers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Tom Sherman wrote:Very cool Syd, looks like it should hold up well.

Tom, the reason I had to go with the face plate bolted to the plate instead of a chuck and a block is because my lathe has a gap in the bed and it's only a few inches wide. If I use a chuck most of my gap is gone with the width of the chuck and jaws. My method only uses an inch or so leaving lots of room for the Doughnut chuck and it's content.
Turn safe....
Syd Sellers

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”