Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

wood kiln

tony wheeler

wood kiln

Postby tony wheeler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:26 am

my up right freezer has quit and I am wanting to make a kiln. I got basic idea what to do but, wondering about what size light bulb and fan to start with and what temps do you use I have a bunch of pepper grinders to make and want to dry blanks any idea appreciated

Curt Fuller

Re: wood kiln

Postby Curt Fuller » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:31 am

I'm watching this too. I need a better way to dry wood. I'm getting too old to wait around for it.

Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau

Postby Wolfgang Schulze-Zachau » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 am

Google it, there are quite a few blog posts and articles on the internet. I think for an upright freezer a 100W incandescent bulb provides enough heat output, but can't remember too much about the other details.

tony wheeler

Postby tony wheeler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 am

I hear that Curt

Matt Hirvonen

Postby Matt Hirvonen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Tony, There is a short article about converting a freezer into a kiln in a past issue of the American Woodturner. I will post a link below, but I am not sure if you have to be logged into the AAW website to read it. Give it a try... and let me know how it works.

http://aawcontentsource.org/aaw_cs1_pdf ... p51-51.pdf

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Everything I've read and heard is start with lower heat than you think you should and raise it slowly. That may be the reason I have procrastinated on building any type of kiln. I don't like to wait. I'm an "If a little is good, more is better" kind of person.

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Matt Hirvonen wrote:Tony, There is a short article about converting a freezer into a kiln in a past issue of the American Woodturner. I will post a link below, but I am not sure if you have to be logged into the AAW website to read it. Give it a try... and let me know how it works.

http://aawcontentsource.org/aaw_cs1_pdf ... p51-51.pdf

Thanks for that link Matt. That about as simple as any directions I've seen!

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:26 pm

I posted this on FB, but since you asked, here it is again:

Just take an upright freezer and gut it. What you NEED to do is put a light fixture (simple ceramic $2 version is fine) in the bottom, run electricity to it with a switch, drill holes in side at the bottom (to let air in) and holes in the top or on the side at the top (to let air out)...I did six 5/8" holes in each location.

To run the unit, insert a 25 watt bulb for a week, then a 50 watt bulb for a week, then a 75 watt bulb for a week, then a 100 watt bulb for a week. It is basically an Easy Bake Oven. And that is the minimum for what you NEED to do.

Now, I don't do minimum, because minimum means more work for me in the long run. So.... instead of a normal switch, I installed a dimmer switch. I like the kind that has 5 steps (the bottom one being 'off', and the other 4 are incrementally higher wattage...I like to believe they are 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% ;) ), and put a 100 watt bulb in. That way, I don't have to continuously change bulbs. Also, my freezers both came with fans. So, I ran power to the fans, and put a switch on it. You don't want the fan connected to your bulb switch because then it wouldn't run at 100% all the time...not sure if that is good for the fan...or effective. The other thing I did was to cut a 'window' in the front. I did that for two reasons. I can see if the bulb has either burned out, or turned off due to a very short power outage/surge, and so I can read my thermometer/hydrometer that I installed right behind the plexiglas. On the model in the pics, I put only one layer of plexiglas on the kiln (on the outside). On my second one, I put a layer on the inside, too (two layers). The reason is that with only one layer, you get condensation on plexiglas, and it drips down the door, and creates puddles on the floor.

Keep your eyes pealed on CL...people sell freezers for free-$50 all the time.
Hope that helps. And feel free to ask any questions.

IMAG0104 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0105 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0106 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0107 - Copy.jpg
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

tony wheeler

Postby tony wheeler » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 pm

thanks Mike

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”