Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

New Lathe

Patrick Curmi

New Lathe

Postby Patrick Curmi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:12 am

I came home from work today and look what I found sitting in my shop, a brand new Vicmarc VL300 short bed lathe, 604mm swing and 500mm between centres. A present from my beautiful wife.

100_4379-picsay.jpg

Cheers Pat.

Curt Fuller

Re: New Lathe

Postby Curt Fuller » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 am

Wow! Beautiful! I love my Vicmarc although I never got to see it when it was brand new. Your "old" lathe in the background looks almost new.

One thing I can tell you about the short bed lathe is that getting the tailstock out of the way can become a nuisance. You're pretty handy at fabricating so you'll want to make something like this. Mine came with my used lathe.
DSCN5688.JPG

DSCN5689.JPG

I also have a habit of laying the tools I'm using on the bed of my lathe. There's not much room on the Vic but my lathe also came with this thing called a T-Rex (the red thing). It holds all kinds of tools, sanding discs, you name it.
DSCN5687.JPG

Congrats on the new lathe and on having a great wife!

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 am

Pat - just saw this over on Facebook - CONGRATS!! You are going to have a lot of fun breaking in that new lathe!

I agree with Curt - fabricate something so you don't have to lift that tailstock any more than you have to! Your back will appreciate it!!

Have fun! :wave:
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Congratulations Pat! Nice lathe. 2thumbsup

I turned on a Vicmarc at Arrowmont for a week 4-5 years ago. The only thing I didn't like about it was the weight of the tail stock. But that was back when I was still a young man so I managed it okay.

Curt's rig looks like a winner and looks like it serves as a bed extension also.

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Curt thanks for all the tips. I have wanted this lathe for a long time, but never really put much thought into possible issues, with my back I will definitely be making something to swing the tailstock out the way. I have a bit to do, modify my steady rest and my hollowing rig to suit this, plus make some new tool rests for the new tool post size, but fist going to spend this weekend turning.

That old lathe in the background is my trusty MC1100, she is quite old bought in 2008 but only really put her to work in 2013 after joining WTU. My youngest son has just started turning so think I might give this to him with most of the many bits and pieces I have made for it along the way, he currently has a real cheap Ryobi which is awful to listen to when he turns it on and even worse to turn on.

Cheers

Pat .

hughie mackay

Postby hughie mackay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:45 am

A bit late to the party Pat :) But what great gift 2thumbsup now you can play away to your hearts content.
I will chuck a few extra bits in the bag for you to help with the play time :)
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Joe Fleming

Postby Joe Fleming » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:18 pm

An alternative to building a gizmo to swing the tailstock out of the way would be to mount a chain or cable on the ceiling with a hook that you could hook onto the web of the tailstock and swing it to an out-of-the-way resting position.

Joe Fleming, San Diego

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:37 am

Hughie thanks for all the great turning blanks, once again it was great to meet you.

Joe I am looking along the lines of a simple frame on wheels that I can push into position, sling the tail stock and roll it out the way, or an extension that will pivot on hinges back and down below the level of the bed.

I have had the tailstock off a few times already, even with my bad back I am lifting things much heavier than this on a daily basis at work, so there is no immediate rush, still don't want to leave it too long.

I will post a picture when I have made something.

Cheers

Pat.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:26 am

Congrats on the new toy, Patrick! I'm sure you will love it. Have never turned on one but have drooled on them at a vendors booth. Very high quality machine.

Joe Fleming

Postby Joe Fleming » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 pm

A friend of mine bought a "cheap" Harbor Freight tool cart with casters. He built a matching sled on the top of the cart to align with the lathe bed. It allowed him to slide the tailstock onto the cart/sled, then simply roll the cart out of the way. He might have had a way to temporarily attach the cart to the lathe to keep it from moving during the tailstock transfer, or maybe he just relied on the locking casters. I don't recall. Either way, it would not do you any good to have the cart move and dump the tailstock on the floor or on your toes.

Tracy Pierce

Postby Tracy Pierce » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Congrats on the new lathe! I'd say your wife's a KEEPER!
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace.

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:37 am

Have to say I am totally loving this lathe and it has given me a real boost to turn again. After giving it some thought I don't want to take up more floor space by having another large piece of equipment in my work shop, so a hinged platform of the back of the machine is the option. Will draw up something and start making it at work.

Yes Tracy she is a keeper, but she always has been.

Pat.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am

Very happy for you, Patrick. We should all be so lucky.
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”