Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Circle Cutting Jig

Patrick Curmi

Circle Cutting Jig

Postby Patrick Curmi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:53 am

It is my intention to cut up my entire wood stash into turning blanks, I have been meaning to make a circle cutting jig from the time the thread below was started. Thought I should make it before the chainsaw comes out. Forgot to take a picture of the blank before I cut it so just placed the pieces there for the picture.

Cut1.jpg

Cut2.jpg

Cut3.jpg

Cut4.jpg

Cut5.jpg

Cheers

Pat

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Circle Cutting Jig

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 am

Looks like it works great Pat but isn't that taking the fun out of roughing green wood? I mean don't you like the clunk clunk clunk until the outside gets rounded? :lol:

Have fun but watch your fingers - those bandsaws can be dangerous machines - especially if the blank is not flat on the bottom! I have ruined too many bandsaw blades by having the wood get slammed down because there was a small void under the cut!
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:01 pm

The wet pieces I rough turned the other day went straight in the lathe, my swing is big enough that I didn't even consider cutting off the corners. My wood pile is all dry wood and will be so much easier if it's round to start with. As everything is first cut with a chainsaw none of it is going to be flat so I hold down the piece at the blade if it's safe to put my hand there and hold up the piece furthest from the blade to stop it from grabing and slamming the blank down. In saying that I have also learned how to sharpen my chain properly so the cuts are reasonably straight, if the bar is long enough to go through the entire piece then I end up with very little rock.

Cheers

Pat.

Chuck Jones
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Chuck Jones » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Pat,
I'm not sure I understand how you start the cut. Do you have to first draw the circle, then cut in to the circle before you put the piece on the peg? If it's necessary to draw the circle first, I think I would just as soon freehand the cut, which is what I do now.

I like the way you have the board cut and clamped down. I think that would make things safer even if you only used it as a work table.

In an earlier attempt at this I made a sled from phenolic ply with a tongue that slid through the grove in the table. I then cut the sled to the halfway point. I made the peg holes like you have them. This way I could place the stock on the peg, then slide everything up to that mid point cutting as it went, then simply rotate the stock.

This worked great for a while. But one day I was having trouble removing a very heavy and large waste ring. Things were getting to the danger point so I decided I could just slide the whole shebang forward and cut through the waste piece. I did. Good idea. Except I also cut the sled in half. After that I went back to the freehand method.

The other problem with my rig was it did not provide the stable work space like yours.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Yeah, it looks as though Pat has done a great job in creating this circle cutting jig. For those of us who don't buy a commercially offered version (or make one with a sled, like Chuck's), the one thing we have to do before cutting the circle is make sure that we have a nice 90* cut from the bottom to the edge to be initially cut (for maximizing blank width). So, you simply make the initial cut on the designated starting side (without the pin in place), then mark out your center and drill a small hole for the pin (or simply drop the bank down onto the pin...but then the blank is no longer at 90* to the blade since the blank is now sitting up in the middle)...and start spinning the blank! Easy-peasy. Pat, that is a great time saver you built. I'm sure that after you've used this for a while, you might come up with some ideas for perfecting it. That's what we do...isn't it?
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:45 am

Chuck it works pretty much as Mike said, don't be confused by my circle marked on the blank, I cut that piece about a year ago, marked it and never bothered to cut it. It was the only piece handy when I wanted to test it.

Mike I am in the unfortunate position where my mind never stops and I am forever thinking of improvements to everything in sight, so yes I am sure I will have a new plan in my head sooner or later.

Cheers

Pat.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 am

Pat, my 'newer' version utilizes discs (made from shelving...so they are slick). I've got 4 sizes. Each one has some play with what size I can cut. You don't want too much overhang... I put nice sharp screws (from the bottom of the disc, up) around the perimeter. That way, it sits on multiple points, and with the sharp screws, it is held in place. You could likely still use what you have and adapt it...if you ever decided to. Hey, come on over and check mine out to give you ideas. :roflmao: :bonk:
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Over the years I've been turning I've never bought myself a decent bandsaw. I have a crappy little craftsman 12" saw that will only cut 5" thick wood. Anytime I've wanted a blank any thicker than that I've used a chainsaw to round it as much as I can. But if and when the day comes that I ever upgrade to a good bandsaw I've save these photos to use for a circle cutting jig. This looks really simple to make and to use.

hughie mackay

Postby hughie mackay » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Good one Pat. although I dont have one myself, its been on the gunner list for a few years
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”