Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Hinged Tailstock Platform

Patrick Curmi

Hinged Tailstock Platform

Postby Patrick Curmi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:35 am

Spent today making a platform for my lathe tailstock so I can get it out the way when hollowing. Slide the tailstock on and lock it in place, remove the lock pin and hinge it down out of the way. I have a piece of wood under the tailstock handle to support the weight so it's not hanging on the hinge. There is a dowl in the timber that locates in the tailstock quill. At a later time I might make one out of steel at work.

100_4389-picsay.jpg

100_4390-picsay.jpg

100_4391-picsay.jpg

100_4392-picsay.jpg

Cheers

Pat.

Curt Fuller

Re: Hinged Tailstock Platform

Postby Curt Fuller » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 am

I usually look at the pictures before I read the post so I was about to tell you that this is a great design but would be better if it were made of steel. Then I read that you plan to do just that. I think the weight of the tailstock will eventually get the best of the wooden one. But that's a great design. I might like it even better than mine because it swings the tailstock below and completely out of the way. But then it still requires a little heavy lifting to get it back in place. You should patent this, it's a great setup. Make the ways on the platform as long as possible because they make for a great bed extension.

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 am

Nice design Pat! Well thought out and once made of metal - will serve you well!
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 pm

I agree with Curt's take on this. I'm guessing that what might make it easier to lift the tailstock back up would be some sort of 'arm' that extends out...giving you leverage. Either that, or a rope rig to the ceiling with pullies so you could hoist it up (kinda block and tackle...though I don't think this would be a 'quick' up and down venture). Ha! Now, if you could somehow spring load it (kinda like the ramps on our horse trailers) so that it assists with lift (and dropping it down for that matter), that would be the bees knees! :cool2:
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks guys, Mike I currently work in a hydraulic shop so the addition of a small hydraulic or even pneumatic cylinder might make easy work of lifting my steel version.

Pat.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Love it, Pat! Hey, if you have the means of doing that, great! If not, look at how trailers (horse trailers in particular...we have a Jamco) use springs on the hinges of their ramps. Really...a large ramp for horses to load onto a trailer can be lifted with one hand.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:17 am

Looks to be very well made, Patrick. I bought the factory made version for my Powermatic 3520 last year and have been very pleased with it. Difference is that it swings off to the side rather than straight down so it is really out of the way. My concern with your design is that it will still get in your way if you want to stand at the end of your lathe for hollowing. May not be that big of a deal, you just have to see how it feels. Mine is also spring loaded which is a nice feature. Check out their website to get a better idea of what I'm describing. Would be just the same as yours except the hinge is on the side rather than the bottom of the mounting plate.

Curt Fuller

Postby Curt Fuller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Bob Rotche wrote: My concern with your design is that it will still get in your way if you want to stand at the end of your lathe for hollowing. May not be that big of a deal, you just have to see how it feels. Mine is also spring loaded which is a nice feature. Check out their website to get a better idea of what I'm describing. Would be just the same as yours except the hinge is on the side rather than the bottom of the mounting plate.

One feature of the PM that I wish my Vicmarc had is a sliding headstock. The Vicmark head stock is fixed and although the bed is short it's not that short. So with or without the swing away tailstock, it's a long reach to turn from the end of the ways. Seems like every lathe has it's pros and cons. I had a wild hair idea once to build a sliding seat on my old Oliver so I could sit straddling the ways and turn from that position. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Though I don't turn from the sitting position (nor from the end of my lathe...WAY too far), I do sit when I sand the inside of bowl...that way, I'm not bending over the whole time.

Patrick Curmi

Postby Patrick Curmi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:32 am

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. Bob I really like the style of swing away that Powermatic has thanks for sharing that, this is something that I will consider when I design my metal version as it is much better than my drop down system. As far as hollowing from the end of the lathe, well I have always hollowed from the front of my lathe with the headstock in its normal position and am quite comfortable doing this, also don't think my arms are long enough to hollow from the end comfortably.

Cheers

Pat.

Bob Rotche
Advisory Board Chairman

Postby Bob Rotche » Wed May 03, 2017 8:37 am

I think the sliding headstock is a great advantage of the Powermatic lathe. It really only takes a few seconds to move it (though I still am frequently too lazy to do it) and hollowing off the end is really a much more comfortable and ergonomic position.

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Wed May 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Yada, yada, yada...lathe this, lathe that...yada, yada, yada. Pat, we need a happier picture of you for your avatar. You look grumpy! :no:

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”