Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

Sorby Ultima

hughie mackay

Sorby Ultima

Postby hughie mackay » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 pm

I added a Sorby Ultima hollower to list of hollowers a few days ago. Its basically a shielded cup cutter not unlike a few thats around on the market.
These sort of hollowers are quite popular down here as they generally handle the hardwoods well, especially those that have carbide cutters.

This is fitted to an existing handle set up with a much heavier bar than the one normally supplied 16mm or 5/8th" mine has a 20mm bar [just over 3/4") also its made out of high tensile steel 4140 grade. Altogether the bar is around 500mm long or 18" on 400mm handle or 16" handle.
The knurled ring is for pushing the shield/guard forward to lessen the cut and the Torx wcrew on top is to lock the guard in place when its set . The cup cutter is 12mm dia or 1/2" a bit fierce with out the guard, but with the guard it should do just fine. I say this as I have not used it yet but have a DIY hollower with tungsten carbide cutter already, but its a smaller type cutter on a shorter and smaller dia bar. The Sorby will be used to finish off the a couple of the kinetic rough out I have drying.
Attachments
SOV_ULTMHEAD_Medium_Ultima_Head_no_Cutter.jpg
sorby web page image without the cutter
IMG_0306.JPG
side shot showing linkage and knurled ring or bezzle
IMG_0305.JPG
looking down on the locking screw
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

hughie mackay

Re: Sorby Ultima

Postby hughie mackay » Sat May 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Ran out of battery on the camera so this is the rest of the hollower.

Basically as mentioned it's a very beefy hollower as I have been doing some deep vase type pieces with small openings no chance of inserting a tool rest for extra support. Many of them are out the Blackwood that has at times a grain structure that swirls causing tear out in chunk more akin to a bad golf player with divots.
The shaft is 20mm and then the head has 13mm Dia mounting into the shaft 40mm long double locking screws. What I forgot to mention is the shaft is also hard chromed. It was part of an old packaging machine we scrapped, German made hence the quality steel 4140 HT. Which is ideal for a hollower shaft etc and the whole lot was destined to be fed into a huge shredding machine for general scrap steel.
Attachments
IMG_0332.JPG
assembled
IMG_0331.JPG
Ultima head
IMG_0328.JPG
shaft and handle
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”