Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

A question 'which way up'

hughie mackay

A question 'which way up'

Postby hughie mackay » Sat May 13, 2017 3:41 am

OK, a lot of the time I invert the piece before carving to see how it looks. Sometimes the way its carved doesn't really agree with inverting.
This one is another piece of Lancewood that I intend to carve through the sapwood to reveal the heart, no problem here.
But the longer I look at it the more difficult its to decide which way up or perhaps narrow base down and refine the top line at the opening.

It stand about 7" high

So I will throw it open to all for suggestions , critque , fire away peers :) look forward to all your comments
Attachments
IMG_0359 - Copy-horz.jpg
Lancewood Acacia Shirleyii
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Re: A question 'which way up'

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sat May 13, 2017 9:36 am

Hughie, I much prefer the natural egg shape of the one on the right side. Carving with that orientation would appear more natural - in my opinion - with the carved fingers reaching up and continuing the curve. The reverse orientation would have the fingers curve back in towards the center even more and while that would define more of a captured space, you have to find a way to continue the external curve in order to make it appear balanced. I am usually odd man out when it comes to these kinds of things - so either way, I look forward to seeing the final version! Have fun with it!
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

hughie mackay

thanks

Postby hughie mackay » Sat May 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Steve Schlumpf wrote:Hughie, I much prefer the natural egg shape of the one on the right side. Carving with that orientation would appear more natural - in my opinion - with the carved fingers reaching up and continuing the curve. The reverse orientation would have the fingers curve back in towards the center even more and while that would define more of a captured space, you have to find a way to continue the external curve in order to make it appear balanced. I am usually odd man out when it comes to these kinds of things - so either way, I look forward to seeing the final version! Have fun with it!

LOL you must have read my mind as I had these thoughts as well. I can manipulate to some extent, but I am not sure how much at this point. The small base is a general trend with these forms and I do like them although the spirals do have an effect. I think if I left as it is with no carving it would look ok.But the sap area worked out extremely well, so much so that it would be a winner after being carved.
My thoughts on the on having the egg shape base to the bottom is that it needs some reforming/shaping as it's not quite right. Its a bit too blunt and the curve is not close enough to the egg form... I think :)
Hughie Mackay

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Sun May 14, 2017 9:50 am

I agree with touching up the egg shape but other than that - I think this will be a winner! Have fun carving!
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Wed May 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Hughie, it is funny...the one one the left looks great the way it is. The one on the right, however, is a little too rounded at the top (I'm guessing that was a bit of a tucked bottom?). So, as the turning is now, I would say it would look best with large side up (left pic). If you wanted to invert it, I think you'd need to get rid of the tuck at the top. Just my two cents which may or may not even be worth that...
:shrug:
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

hughie mackay

Postby hughie mackay » Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 am

Mike Cruz wrote:Hughie, it is funny...the one one the left looks great the way it is. The one on the right, however, is a little too rounded at the top (I'm guessing that was a bit of a tucked bottom?). So, as the turning is now, I would say it would look best with large side up (left pic). If you wanted to invert it, I think you'd need to get rid of the tuck at the top. Just my two cents which may or may not even be worth that...
:shrug:

Sometimes Mike the shape just works. This time neither way up looked that good to me and I couldn't put my finger which way to go. OK had my slight preference as mentioned but wasnt happy with it.
Hughie Mackay

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”