Turning of the Week
Newest Challenge

Have you checked out the
Gallery yet? Our members have posted some of their very best work for you to see – all in one convenient location!

The Burns Finish

hughie mackay

The Burns Finish

Postby hughie mackay » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 am

I have been using Keith Burns 10min finish for several months. It is what he says it is, fast, effective and easy. But, the supplier I used has now gone out of business. Mainly because local finish suppliers have copied the WOP and a few other from Minwax and under cut him. But not Antique Oil, grrrgh!
Minwax has a presence here but very minimal and their website has been promising for months to list suppliers. Meanwhile, my tin of AO is slowly being used up. I have looked at buying direct from the US. But with the exchange rate and shipping, it puts the little red can way over $40 for each one, a tad expensive methinks.

So would anybody venture their thoughts on the recipe for AO. I did find a site that had an or the recipe for it. But that was before my supplier disappeared and of course, I did not keep the site or save it anywhere.
Hughie Mackay

'never worry about life cos' your not gonna get out of it alive'

https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Curt Fuller

Re: The Burns Finish

Postby Curt Fuller » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:09 pm

Hughie, I hope Keith will chime in here. But he's been pretty scarce on the woodturning forums online for a while, along with facebook. I think all is well but he's been traveling and celebrating 50 years of marriage.
That said, my own experience with his infamous 10 minute finish has been that if you do extensive prep and sand to perfection the actual finish doesn't matter that much. I have a hard time getting the Minwax AO too and I've substituted WOP and Tung oil finishes with about the same results. I even seem to recall Keith talking about using lacquer for the process. I've always felt that the secret to success with his finish is having the wood perfectly sanded so that a one shot finish with no touch up or fix up is needed.

Steve Schlumpf
Site Admin/Founder

Postby Steve Schlumpf » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 am

Keith has been MIA for some time now but I figure you are right Curt - he has been busy!

Hughie - there are all sorts of AO or DO recipes available when doing a Google search. All seem to be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of some type of varnish, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.
Steve

Be sure to check out our latest articles on the Front Page

Mike Cruz

Postby Mike Cruz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:38 am

Hughie, though I cannot help you with the recipe for AO, and I think I've told you this before, but I use a roughly 40/40/20 mixture of Poly, walnut oil, and mineral spirits. Now, you'd need to let the turning sit for longer before buffing. But it is just as easy. Literally wipe it on. Wait an hour. Wipe it off. Repeat if you want. Wait a couple of weeks, then buff. Now, I haven't tried buffing it out immediately after 'wiping it off an hour after application', but if it works for AO, maybe it would work for my finish, too. BTW, the only reason I let it sit for an hour is to let it soak in. If you don't need to let the AO 'soak in', I guess you wouldn't have to with my mix either...
Wood hoarder, and proud of it!
GO-TO caliber: 357 mag

Return to “Tips, Tools, & Techniques”